Getting restful sleep is one of the most important things in today’s world. With stressful jobs, financial worries, travel stress, noise pollution, social media notifications on your handheld device, and general anxiety, it becomes very difficult to get a good night’s rest. There are lots of people who suffer from the problem of ‘not getting sleep’. Having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep (even if you have fallen asleep), and not getting restful sleep can be caused due to the medical condition commonly known as Insomnia.
Sleep disorders can be of several types – insomnia, restless leg syndrome, narcolepsy (daytime drowsiness and dysfunctional sleep regulation), sleep apnea, working in shifts, mental illness disturbance, and sleep disorder due to addictions. Sleep disorder and insomnia can be short-term (acute) for a few weeks due to temporary work stress, traumatic events, and family pressures or long-term / ongoing (chronic) that lasts months and maybe years.
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is usually a symptom of another condition, disease or habits like smoking, doing drugs, drinking excessive alcohol, work stress, or too much caffeine in the bloodstream. An overdose of energy drinks during the day that might help in staying awake to finish work or focus extra can also cause insomnia. This, however, is a form of acute insomnia and can be easily cured by avoiding energy drinks containing caffeine the next day.
We can help you deal with insomnia through lifestyle changes and with the correct medication. Let us take each one by one.
The preferred medication for treating Insomnia is Zopiclone. It is a type of hypnotic sleeping pill that helps treat bad cases of acute insomnia. It helps you sleep quickly while ensuring you don’t wake up in the middle of the night.
- Zopiclone acts on the messages that are sent to the brain which in turn helps you sleep faster. The length of sleep increases while the time taken to fall asleep lessens considerably, thereby ensuring you get a good night’s rest.
- Zopiclone is available in tablets and can be taken orally with a few sips of water. It is also possible in liquid form for people who can’t swallow pills, but this can only be ordered by the doctor. Zopiclone is available through prescriptions for people suffering from acute insomnia and can be used as a safe treatment, you can also buy zopiclone from many online pharmacies.
- Zopiclone doesn’t immediately put you to sleep. It takes approximately an hour to kick in and is usually prescribed for up to 3-4 weeks. Continued usage after this time limit could cause dependency and the body might stop responding to the treatment.
- Zopiclone is available in 2 strengths – 3.5mg and 7.5mg. If you have any side effects like a metallic taste in your mouth, daytime sleepiness, and a dry mouth, please contact your doctor immediately. Also, avoid Zopiclone if you are pregnant or are currently lactating.
- Get Up: One of the things people forget to do is wake up if they’re not getting sleep. Forcing yourself to sleep does not work in cases of acute insomnia. Doing something that might bring sleep is a better idea – reading a book, watching a boring TV show, and so on.
- Don’t eat: Do not eat during the night as you might condition yourself to eat after supper and before breakfast daily. This will further break your cycle of sleep and interrupt your schedules causing prolonged insomnia.
- Don’t sleep in: Always wake up when the alarm goes off the next morning. If you try to sleep in the early hours of the morning, you will again upset the circadian rhythm of your sleep causing insomnia the next night too.
- Dim the lights: Dim the lights to make the bedroom drowsy. Dimming the lights helps create an ambient of sleep and might make you drowsy and knock you off in time. You could also make the room very dark to get peaceful sleep. Avoid lights from mobile phones, chargers, bedside alarms, and from laptops.
- Join a gym: Join a gym to regulate your physical fitness. Getting tired at the end of the day and physically exhausting your body will help in getting fitful sleep resulting from fatigue. Exercising helps in falling asleep faster and staying asleep for longer times. This will help cure your insomnia naturally and will keep you healthy too.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol: Avoid smoking, alcohol, energy drinks, and narcotics before you sleep. These will hamper restful sleep and worsen the problem even further. They will also disrupt your sleep cycle causing a change in your metabolism and overall health.